When someone first told me to try chamomile tea to treat my first child’s conjunctivitis, I was very skeptical! But it works! We had it again this week, and chamomile tea did the job once again!
So, this is what I do – I make some chamomile tea (I use organic tea bags), then I let it cool with the tea bag in the cup. Once cool (or even tepid), get some cotton pads or gauze pads (not cotton balls as they can leave fluff particles in the eye). Dip the cotton pad in the tea, squeeze most of the liquid out and then very gently wipe the eye – towards the nose. Usually, I have to do this several times to get it clean, but I use a new pad each time. DO NOT use the same pad for each eye.
This can be done even with newborns – as I have with my own kids when they were little, although breastmilk is also brilliant for treating conjunctivitis.
Here’s a recipe for making your own chamomile tea.
How to Make Chamomile Tea
from wikiHow – The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Chamomile tea is known well as an aid to sleep. It is also used to calm nerves, dispel stomach gas, and aid digestion. Making your own at home is easy.
- 2-3 tsp dried chamomile flowers per cup (use German Chamomile, Matricaria recutita)
- Hot water
- Put the dried chamomile flowers into a cup.
- Pour in hot water.
- Allow infusing for 3 minutes.
- Strain into another cup. Use a tea strainer to catch the chamomile flowers.
- Drink. If wished, you can add honey or lemon juice to adjust the taste if wished.
- Do not consume chamomile tea if you have ragweed allergies unless advised that it is all right by your regular health professional. Chamomile is related to ragweed and some people can have allergic reactions. Those taking blood thinners should not drink chamomile tea either.
- Also, do not consume chamomile tea if you are or think you might be pregnant. It has been noted throughout history that it was once used to induce abortions. While it may not induce an abortion every time, it can cause harm to the unborn child.
Things You’ll Need
- Tea strainer
- 2 cups